Stuffed Animal Collection: E=mc2? - Einstein

e=mc^2 Do you know who said that? It was Einstein, the Genius I am named for. I’m smart, but not quite that smart. I love to learn new things, and enjoy visiting art and history museums.


My favorite time of year is February - March, and let me tell you why. In Alaska there is a special race every year to commemorate the heroics of my ancestors. In that time, the most reliable form of transportation (in Alaska) was dog sled. It kept us employed at least! It was hard work, and the dogs on a team didn’t always get along perfectly, but they were mostly treated fair: A place to sleep, good food, and if the Man-employer had a family plenty of love from his older children.

One year in the dead of winter there was an outbreak of Diphtheria in Nome Alaska. It was January 22, 1925, when a doctor by the name of Welch sent two radio telegrams, one to alert all major towns in Alaska of the outbreak, and one to the us public health service in Washington, D.C. telling of his urgent need for antitoxin. When a dog relay was suggested, my ancestors’ man-employer, Leonhard Seppala was chosen for a 630 mile round trip run from Nome to Nulato and back.

Because of 20yr record lows across the Alaskan interior, Edward Wetzler called for all of the best Man-employer sled teams to join the relay, and travel day and night so they could quickly get the medicine to Leonhard’s team at Nulato. Because of this, many dogs of my breed have heroic ancestors who were part of the relay to save Nome. – like me many still have cousins, and siblings, or they themselves still participate in the Iditarod race in memory of all those heroic huskies.

And that is why I love this very cold time of year: Because of all the celebration of heroic deeds of Man, and his best friend – Dog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuffed Animal Collection: Becky Responsible for all (toys) Refugees

Flower and Verse: 2 Chronicles 20:20